8/14/2016

The Life Post | Travel Diary Part One - Holland, Belgium, Switzerland.


After almost a year of planning, saving and prepping for going Interrailing it is now all over. My tan is already fading and my suitcase is in my bedroom waiting to be unpacked, I think it's safe to say my holiday blues are at an all time high. During the course of three weeks myself and my boyfriend visited 6 countries and 7 cities across central Europe.




Beginning in Amsterdam, we spent roughly 3 days and nights in each country. Having already been to Amsterdam before I had an idea in my head of what to expect but I have to be honest it exceeded my expectations. The weather was amazing for the few days that we were there so it was hard not to enjoy ourselves. We stayed in Hotel Omega which was a short tram journey outside of the city centre but had everything we needed. The city is filled with restaurants and bars and generally is very tourist friendly with lots of things to do. One thing I would definitely recommend doing while you are in Amsterdam is visiting the Museum of Prostitution located in The Red Light District. I know it might sound a little weird and you may have preconceptions of it being something seedy but it really is not that at all, we went on our last full day and I am so glad we did. It was actually very informative and I walked out with entirely different view on the girls working in the district.









When our time in Amsterdam had come to an end we then made a short 3 or 4 hour train journey to Brussels in Belgium. Being honest, this for me was my least favourite city of the trip for a number of reasons. We stayed in an airbnb in a town outside of the city centre where we found some of the locals to be quite rude which put us a little off of wanting to go out to restaurants etc. As the city is unfortunately on high alert with terrorist attacks there are many army men around the town which for me just served as a constant reminder of what 'could' happen which made me feel a little on edge for my entire stay. We did take a day trip to Brugge while we were there however and absolutely fell in love with the fairy tale town. I only wish we decided to stay in Brugge for our time in Belgium instead. For anyone thinking of visiting Brugge I would 100% recommend it, the food was amazing, the drink was cheap and scenery was breathtaking. 



From there on we made a grueling 20 hour journey from Belgium to Zurich in Switzerland and eventually arrived in one piece. We stayed in Swiss Star City Apartment, where we had some trouble getting our key when we first arrived through no fault of our own and the apartments are placed on a somewhat dodgey street. But other than that our room was perfect and had the facilities we needed. A short walk from bars and restaurants, I really enjoyed our stay in Zurich. Although if you are planning on visiting Switzerland be prepared that is it quite pricey, the most expensive of our trip, but it is easy to find ways to save money. We spent one of our days swimming in crystal clear lakes and taking in all of the sights for free.

Part two of my interrail adventure will be up soon.

Have a lovely Sunday!

Adele x
  

No comments:

Post a Comment